21 October, 2009

Thoughts on a young season

The Sabres are off to a sharp start (cue rimshot, sorry, I couldn't resist) with a 5-1-1 record and currently sitting in 2nd place in the Eastern Conference. The defense sounds like it is starting to lapse, however, so Lindy had better start cracking down. The biggest thing that stands out to me this early in the season are the first 3 games where the Sabres stayed in to grab at least a point in some close games. It seem like the kinds of games they lost last year they are staying in and battling through to victory this year.

BUT they also show signs of going back to their old frustrating ways. I haven't been pleased with what I've heard as far as the defensive corps goes for the last 3 games. Sure, they won 2 of the 3, but the Thrashers game shows how much they depend on Miller (who is off to another great start). Tonight's game and last Friday night's game both sounded like the defense went into a "Well, we have enough points to pull us through" coasting mode that just won't cut it. Sharpen up, boys.

I'm not sure what's up with this "condensed" schedule, but it doesn't seem that condensed to me. The sabres are playing 3 games a week until the end of November. That's right, every Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday are game days, and only those 3 days, every week until a Thursday night game sometime around 30 November. What is this, football?

In this early season we've seen one trade already because of our problems with extra wings. (Great, now I'm hungry for wings and there's no good places around here) I'd like to see a trade to get a better back-up goalie, but I don't think that will happen with the current cap conditions. We need to have someone we can trust when giving a much deserved rest, and I just don't have confidence in Lalime.

So here's the question: Who would you offer as trade bait for a back-up goaltender?

No comments: