09 September, 2008

So I suck at updating

At least 4 times in the past week or so I had this window open to post a new entry, but I just didn't have it in me. I plan on finishing my "100 things about me" soon, but not today. Turns out getting ready to leave all your friends and family for a year to go someplace hot and sandy just kind of pushes other things to the back burner. As I've mentioned before I'm in the army (National Guard), and I'm deploying soon. I report for my mobilization training late next week, and right now I'm trying to visit family and friends and get my stuff cleaned up and organized so if my roommate needs to move us while I'm gone he can be sure he has all my stuff. And to ward of all the questions no, I'm not nervous or anything like that yet (I have a really laid back "whatever happens will happen, my God is in control" attitude that comes from my faith.)

As for Sabres related stuff, well, most things have been said. My very quick analysis of the team this year is as follows:
  • Last year we were something like 4th (I think I read it, but I'm not positive at the moment), so offense isn't too much of a problem. Defense is.
  • We needed to get some solid defensemen.
  • We needed to stock our now empty AHL team since we don't share that job with another team anymore
  • We traded away a forward for a solid veteran D-man with grit -- good move.
  • We locked in our goalie and got him some relief that (hopefully) won't be a carboard cut-out in goal.
  • We extended our veteran D-Man for another year, which will bring more experience and other "intangibles" to the defense. This also quelled rumors about how no one wants to play for Buffalo and how much Buffalo management suck, etc.
  • We now have a team with a strong offense and a defense that's stronger than last year. This SHOULD lead to a play-off run.
  • What ever happened to Tim Connolly? Does anyone really care if he just leaves?


Yes, I am very hopeful for this season, though I will have to watch most of it from afar. But I plan on getting in at least one game during my Christmas leave (Maybe 2 or 3!)

No comments: